Over the gate...

Designed in 1913 by Victorian/Edwardian/other architect Theophilus A Allen; John Lennon's house between 1964 and 1968; sunroom, attic and prisco stripe hibernice; Mellotron and caravan; Babidji and Mimi; mortar and pestle; Wubbleyoo Dubbleyoo; curios and curiosity; remnants and residue; testimonials and traces; (Cavendish Avenue, Sunny Heights and Kinfauns); Montagu Square; mock Tudor: Brown House: *KENWOOD*.

(Also available as a blog.)

Legal Blah: This blog is for historical research only, and is strictly non-commercial. All visual and audio material remains the property of the respective copyright owner, and no implication of ownership by me is intended or should be inferred. Any copyright owner who wants something removed should contact me and I will do so immediately. Alternatively, I would be delighted to provide a credit. The writing is by me, such as it is, unless otherwise stated, and this is the only Beatles related blog I am responsible for.

Comments Blah: Comments are moderated. Any genuine comments are welcome. Due to idiotic spamming, you'll have to press the "Follow" button on the right under "Kenwoodites..." in order to leave a comment. Offensive comments/advertising/trolling/other moronicisms are not welcome, and will be rejected.
Comments are the responsibility of the individual commenter, and commenters' opinions do not necessarily reflect my own. (NB: This blog revels in flagrant trivia. If that's not yer "thing", this won't be yer "thang".)

Correspond via: kenwoodlennon@googlemail.com

Friday 6 March 2009

John Lennon: interview, Disc Weekly magazine re. Kenwood possessions. Plus an outsize boot...

Why Does Mr. Lennon Keep a Stone Frog?
Disc Weekly, March 26, 1966
By Ray Coleman

Give or take a Rolls Royce, John Lennon doesn't care much about possessions. He takes only a passing interest in the things that adorn his Weybridge home; he can't remember much about how he came to get them; and he doesn't really care.
But he made an offbeat guest in Disc Weekly's "Treasure Chest" series as he sat in his lounge this week, prodding his own memory. These, then, are among Lennon's belongings:
MY FIRST RICKENBACKER GUITAR: "It's a bit hammered now. I just keep it for kicks, really. I bought it in Germany on the HP - I remember that whatever it cost, it was a hell of a lot of money to me, at the time."
THREE CARS: "A Rolls, Mini and a Ferrari. The Mini for pottering about in, the Rolls for relaxing in, and the Ferrari for zoom. I do very little driving. I'm not a very good driver."
SWIMMING POOL: "It's been in my garden for four months but we haven't been in it yet - it's been too cold."
TWO PICTURES: "Drawn by Stuart Sutcliffe, our old bass player. I'll always keep these, for sentimental reasons."
A LUMP OF STONE: "We found it on the doorstep and somebody said it was prehistoric. I've since been enlightened and I believe it's a load of crap."
AN OUTSIZE BOOT: "This is the one from the film, 'Help!' I keep it in the garden - as a sort of mascot."
A STONE FROG: "I like to see this in the fireplace near the TV set. I just like it, sitting there looking at us all."
ABOUT 20 SUITS: "Well, yeah - but I only wear about two, both black. I've got an evening dress but I only wear it when I have to because it's so uncomfortable. I get my clothes from Dougie Millings."
THE SINGING POSTMAN'S RECORD: "It's all right but you wouldn't exactly have it on hour after hour. Just part of my record collection - I've got everything. Electronic, Indian, classical and modern jazz."
AN OFFICE: "Part of the house. I use it for getting a few things written. It's just got a desk and a grandfather clock."
PIN TABLE, FOOTBALL GAME TABLE AND FRUIT MACHINE: "In my 'den' here at home. Just for a laugh."
© 1966 Ray Coleman, Disc Weekly Magazine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.